KEEPING YOURSELF HYDRATED WHEN RUNNING
Whether it's a 5K, 10K, half or full marathon, hydration is KEY to a successful and safe run during the race.
- Drink plenty of water throughout training, but especially the week leading up to the race.
- Avoid sugary drinks, alcohol and desserts the weekend of the race as they will dehydrate you.
- Load up on fruits and veggies, along with your complex carbs, on the days leading up to the race. You can find them in any fresh market or supermarket in Vietnam.
- Get water at every water stop (or at least every other stop). If you want the sports drink (which you should if the temperatures are 70 or higher), switch at every other station.
- Avoid the sun as much as you can for a few days leading up to the race to stay rested and not deplete any energy stores.
- A lot of people worry about having to go to the bathroom during a race. Avoid water 60 minutes prior to the race but if you have to go – go! There will be plenty of opportunities along the way.
- Pay attention to your urine throughout your entire training period. If it's clear – you are well hydrated. If it is not – drink up!